Dry hair is one of the most common hair problems that people experience. It makes your hair more prone to breakage and split ends, not to mention how unattractive it can make you feel! However, you don’t have to resign yourself to a life of expensive conditioners and treatments that may or may not work. There are plenty of easy home remedies for dry hair that will turn your hair from straw-like to supple.
Home Remedies for Dry Hair
1. Hot Oil
Use hot oil in your hair with moisture and strengthening compounds. This leaves your hair soft, smooth, and much easier to manage.
How to use hot oil for dry hair?
- Choose an oil — coconut oil, avocado oil, olive oil, and safflower oil are all good choices for hot oil treatment.
- Apply the cold oil to your hair. Massage it into your scalp and thoroughly coat your hair from roots to tips.
- Put a plastic shower cap over your hair. Blow-dry for one or two minutes. This will heat the oil and allow it to start penetrating your hair.
- Leave it on for at least 30 minutes and up to two hours. Remove the shower cap and shampoo and condition as normal.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Vinegar is a great part of any DIY beauty routine, so it’s no surprise that it’s one of the most popular home remedies for dry hair. Vinegar closes the hair cuticle and removes build-up from your hair, making it smoother and less prone to breakage.
How to use Apple cider vinegar for dry hair?
- Add three tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to 16 ounces of water. Shampoo your hair and rinse your hair out.
- Pour the vinegar rinse over your hair. Let it sit for one or two minutes and rinse as normal. Start by doing this once a week.
3. Egg Yolks
Egg yolks are full of healthy fat and protein that makes them great for dry or brittle hair.
How to use Egg yolks for dry hair?
- Prepare 1/2 cup of egg yolks. You may need more if you have long or thick hair.
- Massage the egg mixture into damp hair. Let it sit for 20 minutes.
- Rinse with cool water and shampoo as usual.
4. Eggs, Olive Oil, and Vinegar
Since eggs, olive oil, and vinegar are all good for dry hair on their own, it makes sense to combine them into one powerful hair mask. This provides the base for many home remedies for dry hair.
How to use this remedy?
- Mix two raw eggs and two tablespoons of olive oil in a bowl.
- Cover your hair with the mixture and massage into your scalp.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap or warm towel for 45 minutes.
- Rinse with lukewarm water.
- After rinsing the egg and oil out, rinse your hair with 1/2 cup of vinegar.
Mayonnaise, an ingredient you likely have sitting in your refrigerator, gives your hair moisture while adding body and shine. It is one of the most convenient home remedies for dry hair.
How to use mayonnaise for dry hair?
- Wash your hair and leave it damp for the mayonnaise treatment.
- Starting with one tablespoon, scoop mayonnaise onto your hair. Work it into your scalp and through the end of your hair. Add more as needed.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap and let it sit for 20 minutes to one hour.
- Remove the cap and shampoo again.
6. Avocado and Banana
Use up your ripe bananas and avocados with this moisturizing hair treatment.
How to use Avocado and banana for dry hair?
- Mash one ripe banana and one ripe avocado together. You may also blend them if you wish.
- Mix in one tablespoon of olive oil if the moisture is too thick or dry.
- Shampoo your hair, comb it and leave damp.
- Apply the banana and avocado mixture to your hair and scalp.
- Put on a shower cap and leave the mask on for 15 minutes.
- Rinse your hair in the shower.
7. Coconut Milk and Lavender Oil
Coconut milk and lavender oil combine to give your hair moisture and shine.
How to use coconut milk and lavender oil for dry hair?
- Mix one teaspoon of coconut milk and one teaspoon of lavender oil.
- Massage the mixture into your dry hair and leave it on overnight.
- In the morning, rinse the treatment out of your hair.