The human skin regenerates new cells and sheds off the dead skin cells. And lips are no different. In fact, skin on the lips is exposed to many factors such as weather, makeup products, food, beverages, and even saliva. The homemade lip scrub, widely available, tends to the hydrating and moisturizing needs of the lips but often overlooks the exfoliation requirement. The removal of dead, peeling, and chapped skin from the lips help in the revival and restorative process of the skin. When exfoliated, lips absorb moisturizing and nourishing treatments more effectively. Additionally, smooth lips hold lipstick for longer and look beautiful.
Scrubs are an effective way for exfoliation to get rid of the dead skin. Lips scrubs, like face and body scrubs, remove the dead skin and dirt from your lips and exfoliate them to maintain healthy and smooth lips.
Usually, there is larger emphasis on hydrating and nourishing lips mask for achieving beautiful and healthy-looking lips, but exfoliating lip scrubs are equally, if not more important to achieve the same.
Everyone experiences chapped and peeling lips, especially during winters. Sun exposure can also cause lips to become raw and flaky.
The natural cell turnover also leads to peeling. These factors, by themselves or together, can make your lips look lifeless and unappealing, causing the loss of natural suppleness and rosiness of your lips. Lip scrubs are exfoliating products designed for the delicate lip area to remove the dead skin which causes peeling and exposed the new, rosier lip skin for a beautiful and healthy pout.
Additionally, these scrubs are fused with nourishing ingredients which add softness to your lips. It makes the penetration of your lip balm more effective as well as the application of lipstick easier and smoother.
Top DIY Homemade Lip Scrub
There are many high-priced lip scrub products available in the market but those are not your only option. You can manufacture DIY lip scrubs with natural and easily available ingredients for a similar effect. An effective DIY lip scrub can made with as fewer as two ingredients. Most of these scrubs require five to ten minutes to prepare and can be stored for repeated use.
A good DIY lip scrub has two important components, an exfoliant, and a moisturizer. You can add ingredients for nourishment or hydration as well. There are numerous lip scrub recipes that you can make at home to get rosy, supple, healthy, and smooth lips. Here are top DIY homemade lip scrub recipes.
1. Brown Sugar and Honey Lip Scrub
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1-2 drop vanilla
- 1 squirt of honey, and
- Mix the ingredients thoroughly to make a paste. It can be stored in an air-tight glass jar for up to a month.
- Take a small quantity of scrub and rub it on the lips and exfoliate gently.
- Leave the paste on for one to two minutes.
- Rinse it off with warm water. Apply lip balm generously afterward.
- Use diy honey lip scrub once or twice a week.
The brown sugar granules are smaller than salts and sugar particles, hence they are gentler on the lips. The glycolic acid in the brown sugar particles has anti-bacterial properties. Sugar lip scrub diy also helps maintain the health of your lips and keeps the moisture locked in.
Honey has moisturizing properties that it adds to this scrub. It keeps your lips hydrated for a longer period. Honey is loaded with antioxidants that nourish and rejuvenates the lips and keeps your lips stay fresh and smooth. Vanilla extract is loaded with antioxidants, heals sunburn, and possesses anti-aging effects.
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon coffee grounds
- 1-2 tablespoons coconut oil or olive oil
- Few drops of vanilla essence
- Mix the ingredients together into a paste. Ensure that the paste has a thicker consistency. Refrigerate for an hour. Store the paste in an airtight jar for repeated use.
- Apply the paste of diy lip scrub to your lips and massage it gently.
- Let the scrub sit on for a minute before removing it off with a tissue or cotton pad. It is recommended to apply lip balm afterward for hydration.
- Use it once a week.
If you have extra dry lips, use a larger quantity of coconut oil which is a naturally occlusive hydrator. If you have sensitive skin, substitute the brown sugar with white sugar as granules of white sugar are less coarse and irritating.
And If you have sunburned lips, let the paste sit on the lips before scrubbing so oils can have more time to penetrate. If you have thin lips, scrub for longer period as more blood flow will provide plumping effect.
The caffeine found in coffee helps tighten skin and exfoliate dry and dull skin. It rejuvenates the lips and add color to them. The brown sugar particles enhance the exfoliation properties of the scrub. Coconut oil as well as olive oil has anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties. Coffee lip scrub DIY is a natural moisturizer that provides nourishment to your lips. Vanilla essences offer anti-aging and healing benefits.
3. Mint Lip Scrub
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 drop peppermint oil
- Mix the ingredients in a small bowl thoroughly till it becomes a coarse paste.
- Store the paste in a lidded jar or tub for future use. Before applying the paste, hold a warm washcloth for three to five minutes to soften your lips.
- Apply the homemade lip scrub and leave it on for five minutes. Remove the scrub with a warm washcloth and follow it up with lip balm.
- Use the scrub once a week for fresh and plump lips.
Sugar offers great exfoliation benefits whereas honey contains healing properties for sensitive skin. Olive oil offers moisturizing properties and is rich in antioxidants. It hydrates the lips and removes any water-resistant substance residue from lipstick products.
Peppermint oil is also a natural moisturizer that helps hydrate and nourish your lips especially during colder weather. The pain-fight properties will soothe your already irritated, dry, and chapped lips. Furthermore, peppermint oil helps stimulate blood circulation for a fuller look.
4. Chocolate Lip Scrub
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 small drizzle of honey
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl thoroughly until a gritty chocolate paste is formed. If the paste is too thin, you can add more sugar, and if it’s too thick, add more olive oil and honey.
- Store the paste in an airtight jar and refrigerate for two to three weeks.
- Apply the diy lip scrub on the lips and let it set on for five minutes.
- Wash the scrub off with warm water.
- Apply lip balm or petroleum jelly for hydration.
White sugar granules are softer on the skin and acts as an exfoliating agent to remove the dead skin and any other buildup on the lips gently. Cocoa powder is rich in antioxidants suited for skin and makes your lips smooth and soft.
Olive oil offers moisturizing and hydrating benefits to your lips. Almond extract rejuvenates the dead and dull skin cells. Honey adds natural healing properties to the scrub along with antioxidants and anti-bacterial properties.
5. Peppermint Lip Scrub
- Peppermint candies or candy canes
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Take few peppermint candies or candy canes and finely ground them in a food processor. Achieve consistency of sugar.
- Mix the sugar and coconut oil together in a bowl.
- Add two tablespoons of finely ground peppermint candy and mix it thoroughly.
- Store the paste in a lidded container.
- Apply the homemade lip scrub gently over your lips.
- Massage it and remove it with a tissue or cotton pad. Follow it with lip balm.
Sugar is a natural and gentle exfoliant which helps remove the chapped and peeling skin cell from the lips without any abrasive effect.
Peppermint stimulates blood flow under the skin so that you are left with fuller, flushed, and healthier lips.
Coconut oil is loaded with fatty acids and antioxidants which brings anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties to the scrub for soft and smooth lips.
6. Lavender Lemond Lip Scrub
- 1 ½ tablespoon organic cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon jojoba oil
- ½ tablespoon honey
- 1 drop lemon essential oil
- 1 drop lavender essential oil
- 2 – 4 drops of fresh lemon juice
- Mix the honey and jojoba oil in a small bowl.
- Add the lemon juice followed by lemon and lavender essential oils.
- Add the sugar slowly until the paste reach the needed consistency.
- Store it in a tub or a jar. After the initial use, store the paste in a refrigerator and use it for up to 1 month.
Lavender is popular for its skin healing and nourishing properties. It helps heal scars, burns, and dryness. Lemon juice brightens dull skin, cleanses it, and adds a fresh smell to the scrub.
The glycolic acid found in the cane sugar conditions and nourishes the skin. It has exfoliating properties and remove dry and dead skin cells.
Honey is an amazing ingredient for the skin. It is loaded with antioxidants with moisturizing and anti-bacterial properties. It brings out the moisture from the skin and entraps it.
Jojoba oil is uniquely suited for sensitive skin and makes your skin feel soft and smooth but not oily.
7. Raspberry Lemonade Sugar Lip Scrub
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Few drops of Raspberry extract
- Few drops of lemon essential oil
- Mix coconut oil and sugar in a small bowl and combine it thoroughly.
- You can split the paste into two bowls and make two different scrubs with raspberry and lemon extract separately or you can mix the two extracts together and add it to the paste.
- Store the scrub in an airtight jar for future use.
- Take a small quantity and put it on the lips.
- Massage the paste gently in a circular motion.
- Let it sit on the lips for a minute and wash it off with warm water.
- Apply lip balm generously afterward for hydration.
Coconut oil has natural antibacterial and antifungal properties. Furthermore, it provides your lips with antioxidants and fatty acids for healthier and softer skin.
Sugar acts as an exfoliating agent. Lemon extract is rich in vitamin C, which helps in the production of collagen and a potent antioxidant responsible for reviving damaged skin.
It also provides natural antibacterial properties. Raspberry extract offers vital minerals which provide rosiness to your lips, prevent darkening, and provide a smoother finish.
8. Honey and Cinnamon Lip Scrub
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- Mix the ingredients in a bowl thoroughly until they acquire a thick consistency.
- Place the paste in an air-tight jar or tub and store it in the refrigerator for future uses.
- Take a small quantity of the scrub and rub it on your lips in a gentle circular manner for one to two minutes.
- Remove the scrub with a wet washcloth and follow with an oil-based lip balm for moisturization.
Brown sugar acts as an exfoliating agent which is natural and gentler on the sensitive skin of your lips.
The coconut oil is loaded with fatty acids and antioxidants and offers antibacterial and antifungal benefits.
Honey offers healing and antiseptic benefits. Cinnamon is also a natural exfoliant and acts as a natural lip plumper.
9. Lavender Rosemary Sugar Scrub
- 2 tablespoon raw cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon lavender (fresh or dried)
- 2 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon rosemary (chopped)
- ½ teaspoon lavender oil
- ½ teaspoon almond oil
- Mix all the ingredients except for chopped lavender and rosemary into a glass jar or container. Combine these ingredients thoroughly.
- Add lavender and rosemary and mix properly. You can add other essential oil, flower extracts or herbs of your choice for versality.
- The scrub can be stored for up to one month in the refrigerator.
- Take a small quantity of the scrub and apply it to your lips.
- Massage it softly for one minute.
- Wipe the scrub off with a warm washcloth or you can wash it off with warm water.
- Apply a moisturizing lip balm afterward.
Sugar is a natural exfoliant, which is gentle and soft on the sensitive skin of the lips. It works to remove the dead skin without damaging the lips.
Sea salt offers exfoliating benefits as well as antibacterial, antiseptic, and healing benefits.
Coconut oil provides antibacterial advantages as well as fatty acids and antioxidants. Lavender offers nourishment to the skin and protects the lips against the harsh effects of the sun and the environment.
Almond oil helps revive the dead skin cells and stimulates quicker cell turnover. Rosemary offers antiseptic and antioxidant benefits and refreshes the skin.
There is nothing more uncomfortable and unappealing than rough, flaky, and chapped lips. These DIY homemade lip scrub recipes are aimed at one purpose – to help your lips achieve a smooth, rosy, fresh, and healthy look. You can choose the recipe that suits your preference and ingredients readily available at home.
Different people have preferences for the taste and smell of the scrub so you can choose the one that works for you better. It is important to consider the sensitivity of your lips so you can opt for the right exfoliation agent in the scrub.
The last aspect to consider is the additional benefit you seek on top of exfoliation such as softness, moisturization, hydration, plumpness, etc. Once you have identified your requirement, choose the recipe that offers maximum benefits. Just keep in mind that scrub should be used once or twice in a week. Over exfoliation can damage your lips.
Always follow the scrub with a balm to trap the moisture and amplify the softness of the lips. Regular use is important for results for any DIY remedy and lip scrubs are no different, so use the scrub weekly for optimal results.