Home Remedies to Get Rid of Nail Fungus
Nail fungus is a very uncomfortable malady that can infect the nails of your fingers and toes, although it more often occurs on your toes. It is caused by poor hygiene, sweat, cuts, and other factors. It is also called also called Onychomycosis.
How to get rid of nail or toenail fungus?
Nail fungus can lead to serious infections in your fingers and toes. There are various treatments available for nail fungus, but they have can cause some side effects. That’s why home remedies are an excellent option for treating such types of problems.
These home remedies for nail fungus can help you end of nail fungus before it causes an infection.
Best Home Remedies for toenail fungus
1. Lemon Juice
While lemon juice can sting on toenail fungus, it is also an antiseptic and anti-fungal liquid that can end toenail fungus quickly. Try this remedy to enjoy the benefits of lemon juice.
How to use lemon juice for nail fungus?
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice and 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil to a small bowl.
- Wash your hands thoroughly and dry them. Use your hands to massage the lemon juice mixture into the toenail affected by fungus.
- Allow your toe to air dry and repeat daily.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
The acidity of apple cider vinegar makes it one of the best home remedies for nail fungus. It can kill fungus while keeping it from spreading to other fingers and toes. By using this remedy regularly, you can quickly and easily get rid of nail fungus.
How to use Apple Cider Vinegar for toenail fungus?
- Mix 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and water. Soak the affected toe or finger in the mixture for 30 minutes.
- After removing your finger or toe from the solution, thoroughly dry it and keep it in the open air.
- Repeat every day for at least 3 weeks.
How to use Garlic for toenail fungus?
- Run 2 or 3 cloves of garlic through a food processor to turn the garlic cloves into a mushy paste. Put the garlic mixture in a strainer and save the oil that comes out of it. Mix in white vinegar, equal to the amount of garlic oil strained out.
- Using clean hands, massage the vinegar and garlic mixture into the nail affected by nail fungus. Cover the affected toe or finger with a bandage. Leave the bandage on for 24 hours.
- You can repeat this remedy, but make sure the affected nail gets at least 3 hours between treatments.
4. Baking Soda
Baking soda is great for cleaning and it is available in almost every home, which is why it is one of the most convenient home remedies for nail fungus. It uses other household ingredients to quickly clean a nail covered by fungus.
How to use baking soda for nail fungus?
- Combine 4 cups of hot water, 1/2 cup of baking soda, 1/2 cup of Epsom salts, 1/4 cup of peroxide into a large foot bath or basin. Stir thoroughly so everything is evenly mixed.
- Soak the affected toe or finger in a solution of pure vinegar for 5 minutes. Dab a cotton ball into the mixture you prepared and coat the affected nail with it. Tape the cotton ball to the nail to keep it attached. Leave the bandage on for 10 hours.
- Repeat once per day for at least 4 weeks.
5. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is one of the most valued home remedies for nail fungus. It is antiseptic and anti-fungal. Use this remedy as quickly as possible to treat the nail fungus.
How to use tea tree oil for toenail fungus?
- Combine 1 teaspoon of tea tree oil with 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Dip a cotton ball into the mixture and rub it onto the affected toe or nail.
- Let the mixture sit for 5 minutes. Dry the toe or finger off thoroughly.
Best Toenail Fungus Treatments
What is Best for Toenail Fungus?
Even though there are dozens, if not hundreds of products out there that claim to help with toenail fungus problems. We are going to discuss some of the day to day things that you can do. It will help to deal with Toenail fungus. These are simple steps that you can do at home. But It may have a dramatic impact on how long you suffer from nail fungus.
Toenail fungus is generally more common than fingernail fungus. But many of these tips can be applied to nails on your hand or foot fungus. The key is to be diligent and to have patience.
1. Clean Feet
It should go without saying that keeping your feet clean. It is an important step in handling toenail fungus. If you use a good antifungal soap, that will help even more.
Unfortunately, it is no secret that many people get into the shower and skip the process of actually washing their feet.
2. Dry Feet and Nails
Moisture is one of your enemies when it comes to toenail fungus. It helps the fungus to grow and that is not a good thing for you. How many times per week do you put on your socks before your feet are dry?
This is bad news and will not help you at all. If you need some help, you might consider using a hairdryer to speed up drying time.
3. Trimming Your Nails
One of the ways that some people get fungus is through nail injury, cracks, breaks, etc where the fungi find a way to enter. If you don’t keep your nails cut properly and fairly short. You have a higher risk of nail trauma. This is where your nails bang against an object or on the inside of your shoes. This can easily create entry points for dermatophytes which cause fungus.
4. Air and Sunlight
Some people believe that exposure to air and sunlight is why the fungus is less likely on fingernails versus toenails. It is a good idea to let your feet and nails to “air out” as much as possible and to get them exposure to sunlight as well.
5. Rotation of Socks and Shoes
It is very important when working to get rid of toenail fungus to not use socks more than once. In addition to the daily changing of socks. It is highly recommended that you rotate your shoes every other day.
That gives your shoes time to dry out a bit. You can also consider washing your shoes more frequently or buying ultraviolet shoe trees that help to kill fungus inside your shoes when not worn.
When to see a doctor
In most cases, home remedies or treatments are sufficient for nail fungus, but if you still face serious complications, you should contact dermatologist or podiatrist.
Home remedies maybe work better than medicine depending on the various factors like infection severity, nail penetrability, and overall health.
Does baking soda kill toenail fungus?
Baking soda is one of the best option to kill toenail fungus. It has cleaning properties and prevented the fungal growth.
Is Vinegar good for toenail fungus?
Vinegar has antifungal and and antibacterial properties. It prevents the growth of foot fungas and may kill fungus entirely.