Turmeric is a spice derived from the dry ground root of the Curcuma longa, a plant native to India and Indonesia. Tumeric has been used as a traditional medicine for thousands of years in India, The active ingredient in turmeric is curcumin. The root has a thick brown skin and orange flesh, turmeric is a deep yellow-orange color from which it derives the nickname of Indian saffron.
1. Turmeric powder has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that make it an ideal antiseptic used in cuts and burns and speeds up wound healing and assists in remodeling of damaged skin.
2. When combined with cauliflower, it has shown to prevent prostate cancer and stop the growth of existing prostate cancer.
3. Prevented breast cancer from spreading to the lungs in mice. Curcumin has been found to possess properties that reduce the expression of deadly molecules within cancer cells
4. Turmeric may prevent melanoma and cause existing melanoma cells to commit suicide.
5. Reduces the risk of childhood leukemia.
6. Turmeric is a natural liver detoxifier and also a natural painkiller and cox-2 inhibitor.
7. May prevent and slow the progression of neuro-degenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s disease. Epidemiological studies show that levels of neurological diseases like Alzheimer’s are very low in elderly Indian populations, where turmeric is a common spice.
8. May be beneficial in treating psoriasis and other inflammatory skin conditions.
9. It is a potent natural anti-inflammatory that works as well as many anti-inflammatory drugs but without the side effects.
10. Patients with myeloma could possibly be treated with turmeric in the near future.
11. May aid in fat metabolism and help in weight management.
12. Because of its anti-inflammatory properties, it is a natural treatment for arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
13. Has been shown to stop the growth of new blood vessels in tumors.