Tangled hair can be very irritating. It can also damage the hair if not handled properly. The problem of tangled hair is faced by many women.
Some men who keep their hair long daily. Fortunately, tangled hair can be prevented and treated easily with some knowledge and care.
What Causes Tangled Hair?
- Extreme dryness of hair makes the hair rough, which makes it prone to tangles.
- Excessive chemical treatment of the hair, like perming, straightening, bleaching, etc, can damage the hair. This may lead to tangles.
- Freak accidents, like getting gum or a zipper stuck in your hair.
- Letting untied hair exposed to wind.
- Piling your hair on top and washing it.
- Friction with a bed cover, pillow, or your dress while sleeping can cause tangles.
- Not cleaning and caring for your hair for a long time.
- Split ends.
- Some hairstyles can make your hair prone to tangles.
- Things out of your reach, like medical circumstances.
Dry Brittle Hair
Dry brittle hair lacks the texture and sheen of healthy, normal hair. Moreover, the brittle hair makes the hair to break quite easily. It is a very problematic condition. Dry hair has many causes that are discussed in the following article.
Once the hair gets damaged, you need to be patient and take the necessary steps to grow it back. In the meanwhile, you should try to know the causes behind the dry hair so that correct treatment can be taken.
Causes of Dry Brittle Hair
Lack of hair care
If you have dry hair, you should make it extra moisturized. But most people do not spend on moisturizing products. For example, use conditioner so that it leaves hair shinier and smoother. If not moisturized, the hair is prone to knots and maybe less soft, resulting in breakage.
If you have a genetic history of dry hair, you are more prone to brittle hair. Care and lifestyle measures also influence the health and luster of hair.
The rays radiating from the sun, especially the UV rays, are very harmful. They damage the outer layer of hair’s cuticle and damage the elastic bonds present between the healthy hair.
Hair styling products such as dryers, straightening irons, and curling irons damage and deplete the hair from its moisture. Fragile hair is very much prone to these products. Bleaching creams applied at the ends of the hair also make the hair brittle. These styling products should not be used too often.
Poor diet intake influences hair consistency and quality. A diet that is low in carbohydrates, fats, and proteins results in dehydrated and dull-looking hair. To maintain the moisture of the hair, you should drink plenty of water, take a diet rich in vitamin A, E, C, and calcium.
Hormonal imbalances affect the hair and make it brittle. Thyroid disorders especially hypothyroidism in which the thyroid gland produces less thyroid hormone make the healthy hair lose its sheen and luster.
How to Prevent Tangled Hair
- Keep your hair clean and adequately moisturized. Comb your hair regularly.
- Do not use too many chemicals on your hair. If you want any kind of chemical treatment, go to a good hair care professional.
- Keep your hair tied up all the time. Braids and buns are a great way of doing it.
- Always detangle your hair with a wide-toothed comb before stepping into the shower.
- Use a comb while rinsing your hair.
- Don’t rub your hair dry with a towel. Let it dry naturally, either by leaving it loose or by wrapping it in a turbine towel.
- Use a good conditioner. Use a leave-in conditioner if needed.
- Sleep on a satin covered pillow. It doesn’t create friction with the hair.
- Get rid of split ends as soon as you see them.
Home Remedies to Treat Tangled Hair
- Never wet the tangles. It might make the tangles permanent.
- Soften the tangles by applying detangling products and conditioners. Apply as much as you can.
- Use a broad toothed comb to detangle your hair. Always start from the bottom, slowly working your way up.
- Concentrate on a small area at a time. Be gentle on the hair.
- Have lots of patience.
- You will have to cut your hair if you cannot detangle it even after a week. If you do not cut your hair, it will fall off and may never come back again.