How to Get Rid of Oily Hair?
Oily hair can be very frustrating. No matter how much you wash your hair, it may seem to turn into an oil slick in less than a day. Oily hair can either be caused by too much oil, which is common if you use lots of styling products, or too little oil, which can be caused by hormones. Learn how to get rid of oily hair easily and naturally.
Natural Home Remedies For Oily Hair
1. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is one of the most acidic substances around, so it can easily cut through excess oil and prevent your scalp from producing more oil. This rinse can dry out your hair if done too often, so it’s important to use it in moderation.
How to get rid of greasy hair with this remedy?
- Pour 1 cup of cold water into a glass and squeeze the juice of 1 lemon into the glass.
- Shampoo and rinse your hair as normal.
- Pour the lemon juice rinse over your hair.
- Rinse out with warm water.
You should brush your hair according to your hair’s needs. If your hair is oily at the roots and on your scalp, you’ll want to brush your hair often. This will redistribute oil throughout your hair and keep it from staying on your scalp.
If all of your hair is prone to oiliness, avoid brushing your hair too often. Redistributing the oil from your scalp is not beneficial in this case.
Like lemon juice, tea is an acidic substance that is good for oily hair. It is full of tannins, so it can cleanse your hair and strip it of non-essential oils.
How to use this remedy?
- Brew 1 cup of tea. Let the tea come to room temperature.
- Wash and rinse your hair as normal.
- Pour the tea over your scalp. Let the tea stay in your hair for 10 minutes.
- Rinse with cool water.
- Repeat 1 time per week.
4. Egg Yolks
Egg yolks are full of good cholesterol and other nutrients that are great for your hair. This may seem counterintuitive if you are just starting to learn how to get rid of oily hair since eggs are full of fat. However, the presence of healthy oils can keep your scalp from producing even more oil.
How to use Egg Yolks for oily hair?
- Crack 2 eggs into a bowl, separating the yolks from the whites. Mix the yolks until they are smooth.
- Dampen hair. Work the yolks through your hair, starting at the roots and working your way to the ends
- Leave the yolks in your hair for 15 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar
For some people, oily hair is caused by genetics. For other people, oily hair is caused by product buildup. In the case of product buildup, it is easy to eliminate oil and keep oily hair away. Use this spray once per week to get rid of excess hair products.
How to use Apple Cider Vinegar for oily hair?
- In a spray bottle, add 2 cups of water.
- Stir in 4 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar.
- Seal spray bottle and shake to combine.
- Spray apple cider vinegar mixture on your roots and brush it through your hair.
6. Aloe Vera
This plant-based gel is known for its ability to heal the skin of sunburn and other issues. It is also great for you if you’re trying to figure out how to get rid of oily hair. It naturally detoxifies your scalp and heals it from the cycle of excess oil production.
How to use Aloe vera for greasy hair?
- Either add the gel of 2 aloe vera leaves to a bowl or 3 to 4 tablespoons of store-bought aloe vera gel.
- Chill the gel in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Gently massage the aloe vera gel into your scalp.
- Rinse the gel off after 30 to 45 minutes.
How to Prevent and Get Rid of Oily Hair?
- Avoid a diet that is full of fat and grease. This can worsen your oily hair problem.
- Clarifying shampoos, which are meant to strip away product, can make oily hair worse.
- Completely stripping your hair of oil can trigger your scalp to produce even more excess oil.
- When conditioning your hair, limit your conditioning to the bottom half of your hair. Your ends need conditioners, while your roots most likely do not.
- Limit your use of hair products, as these can interfere with your scalp’s natural oil production.