Best Teeth Whitening Home Remedies
Yellow or discolored teeth are enough to make anyone self-conscious. If you’ve spent your family photos forcing a closed-mouth smile or spent hours in front of the mirror looking at your teeth. You may have considered conventional tooth whitening treatments.
However, these treatments are often very expensive and they can damage your tooth enamel. These home remedies for teeth whitening are safe and easy to do at home. Below are the 10 natural ways to whiten teeth.
Natural ways to whiten teeth
The following natural ways to whiten teeth may take a little longer to work. They’ll save a great deal of money over costly store-bought products to whiten the teeth. You have nothing to lose but unsightly stains!
1. Baking Soda and Lemon
Both baking soda and lemon are home remedies for teeth whitening on their own, so when you put them together, they make a very effective remedy. Only use this treatment once or twice per week. Doing it any more than that can damage the enamel on your teeth.
How to whiten teeth with baking soda?
- Cut 1 lemon in half. Extract the juice from both lemon halves into a bowl. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda to the lemon juice.
- Dip a q-tip into the solution. Swab the solution onto your teeth.
- After 1 minute, rinse with warm water.
- Make sure that you do not leave the solution on for longer than 1 minute as it can damage your teeth if left on for too long.
2. Banana Peel
Everyone loves a delicious banana, but who knew that the peel was useful too?
Banana peels are full of magnesium, manganese, and potassium, all of which help to naturally whiten your teeth. Since this treatment makes use of something you would otherwise just throw away, it’s one of the most economical home remedies for teeth whitening.
How to whiten teeth with banana peel?
- Remove banana from its peel. Rub 1/2 of the peel on your teeth for 2 minutes.
- Leave the mixture on your teeth for 15 minutes.
- Brush teeth as you typically do.
- Repeat 2 or 3 times per week.
3. Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide is likely sitting in your medicine cabinet to help you with scrapes and cuts. However, it can also be used to create a teeth-whitening mouthwash. This treatment is approved by the ADA, so you know it is safe to use on your teeth.
How to whiten teeth with Hydrogen peroxide?
- Mix 3 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide with 3 tablespoons of water.
- Brush your teeth as normal Swish the hydrogen peroxide mixture in your mouth for at least 30 seconds, but no longer than 1 minute.
- Repeat 2 or 3 times per week for best results.
4. Bay Leaf and Orange Peel
Bay leaf and orange peel are both powerful ingredients for whitening your teeth. Mix this remedy up once a week to see results fast.
How to whiten teeth with Bay Leaf and Orange Peel?
- After peeling an orange, let the peel sit out for a day to naturally dehydrate.
- Use a mortar and pestle to grind the orange peel and 5 bay leaves. Add a little bit of water to create a thick paste.
- Rub the mixture on your teeth. Leave the bay leaf mixture on for 10 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water.
5. Practice Oil Pulling
Oil pulling is one of the fastest-growing home remedies for teeth whitening. This remedy allows the oil to pull the decay and bacteria from your teeth, naturally making them healthier and whiter. Only use organic, natural oil for this.
- Pour 1 tablespoon of olive, almond, or coconut oil into your mouth. Swish the oil around in your mouth, making sure it touches all of the surfaces of your teeth.
- Swish for 10 to 15 seconds. Spit the oil out and rinse with water.
- Drink 2 or 3 cups of water.
6. Apples and Strawberries
Eating more apples and strawberries can naturally whiten your teeth. The action of chewing on an apple naturally washes your teeth and scrubs away bacteria and harmful sugars.
Strawberries naturally have malic acid, an ingredient used in teeth whitening solutions. Just eating strawberries is enough, but you can also cut a strawberry in half and rub it on your teeth.
7. Baking Soda
Baking soda is an all-around fantastic natural home remedy. It’s great for cleaning and whitening a number of surfaces, even teeth! Fluoride toothpaste should still be a part of daily dental hygiene.
How to whiten your teeth with baking soda?
- Mix well 1 teaspoon of baking soda with 2 teaspoons of water
- Brush your teeth with the paste.
- Apply 2-3 times per week.
Baking soda will help whiten and brighten the teeth when used in addition to toothpaste on a regular basis. It will take longer to whiten teeth with baking soda. It’s much cheaper than store-bought tooth whitening products.
8. Baking Soda and Peroxide Paste
Peroxide and baking soda can be used together to whiten teeth and make them brighter. Instead of mixing baking soda with water, make a thick paste with peroxide.
This will double the punch when whitening and brightening teeth, and if used every other day. It will safely make teeth whiter and breath fresher.
9. An Apple a Day Keeps the Yellow Away!
The old saying, an apple a day keeps the doctor away is truer than most people realize. An apple a day is also great for tooth enamel and gums.
The texture of apples clean teeth in a natural way. The apple juice contains natural astringents. It can help whiten teeth. An apple a day not only keeps the doctor away but with proper cleaning and care. It can also keep the dental hygienist away!
10. Cut Back on Drinks that Stain
If stains on the enamel are caused by drinks such as tea, coffee, and cola, cut back on these stain-causing beverages. Opt for drinks such as water with lemon, flavored water, and milk-based drinks.
With regular brushing and natural stain removers, your teeth will look naturally white. You won’t ever have to spend money on expensive whitener.