How to get rid of a Stuffy Nose Naturally
The first thing that runs through our mind when we have a stuffy nose is how to get rid of a stuffy nose. A stuffy nose is a very irritating condition that prevents you from breathing nose normally.
It usually affects people during the cold season and is accompanied by a common cold. When we have this condition, we not only have a hard time breathing, but our sleep is also affected. This leaves us looking for home remedies to help us get rid of a stuffy nose.
Home Remedies for Stuffy Nose
A stuffy nose can make almost everything more difficult. It’s hard to eat because you can’t smell or taste your food. Sleeping is hard because you have to try to keep your mouth open. Furthermore, no one likes having to constantly blow their nose.
Instead of suffering through it, try one of these home remedies for stuffy nose. They are natural, so you can use them frequently for stuffy nose relief.
1. Steam Bath
Clearing your nose is easy by getting some steam into your nostrils. You can use a steam vaporizer or create your steam bath and use this remedy several times a day.
- Boil a pot of distilled water on the stove. Pour the water into a bowl and place it on a table.
- Sit down and lean over the bowl. Cover your head with a warm towel to trap the steam.
- Breathe deeply to get the steam into your nose. Stay under the towel for 10-15 minutes.
2. Eucalyptus Oil
Eucalyptus oil is one of the most effective home remedies for stuffy nose. When inhaled, it can break up mucus in the nose and help clear your nose.
- Prepare a steam bath as described above.
- Add 2 or 3 drops of eucalyptus oil to the steaming water.
3. Warm Compress
A warm compress pressed to the nose can help mucus detach from the inside of the nose. You can redo this method as often as you would like to clear your stuffy nose.
- Soak a clean washcloth with very warm water. Wring the washcloth out.
- Lay the washcloth across the bridge of your nose.
- As the washcloth cools, re-wet it with warm water.
4. Nasal Spray
A nose-clearing nasal spray is one of the most potent home remedies for stuffy nose. Stores sell nasal sprays, but this home mixture is so easy to mix up that you don’t need one from the store.
- Pour 1 cup of warm water into a cup. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda and salt until they dissolve.
- Suck some of the mixtures up into a nose dropper.
- Lean over a sink and squeeze some water into 1 nostril while holding the other one shut.
- Let the nostril drain for 30 seconds. Squeeze water into the other nostril while holding the first nostril shut.
- Repeat as necessary to clear your nose.
5. Steam Shower
Hot showers can be just what you need to get rid of a stuffy nose.
- Run a shower until it is hot enough to create steam. Turn the heat down until it is at a comfortable temperature. Get into the shower and immediately close the curtain to trap the steam.
- Tip your head downward to dislodge mucus from your nostrils.
If you want, you can put a few drops of eucalyptus or lavender oil on the floor of the shower to clear up your nose faster.
6. Lemon Tea
Tea helps clear up a stuffy nose, and lemon works very well in the same way; by combining these two home remedies for stuffy nose, you can clear up a stuffy nose in no time.
- Boil 1 cup of water. Add 1 teaspoon of lemon juice and 2 teaspoons of honey to the water.
- Stir to dissolve and drink immediately.
- Repeat throughout the day when you notice that your nose is particularly stuffy.
7. Ginger and menthol leaves
How to get rid of a stuffy nose also involves not blowing your nose hard when you have a stuffy nose. By blowing our nose we will put pressure on your sinuses which will make them dilate and when our sinuses dilate we can not breathe through the noses. Instead, it would be better to eat ginger 2 to three times per day.
Ginger will get rid of all mucus stuck in the nasal cavity so we can breathe better. If you do not have ginger in your home. You can use cardamom powder. Get cardamom seeds and crush them into a fine powder. This powder should be placed under the pillow when going to bed.
To cure a stuffy nose with menthol leave involves rubbing menthol leaves paste outside your nose before you go to bed. You can also use ginger soup or sniff raw onions to get rid of a stuffy nose. Raw onions are very useful in clearing the nasal cavity and they will leave you feeling relieved when you wake up in the morning.
8. Spicy Food
A stuffy nose is often caused by sinus problems. Clearing up your sinuses may clear excess mucus from your nose. Eating more spicy foods like chili, kimchi, and hot sauce can work very quickly to clear a stuffy nose.
Once in our lifetime, we all get a runny nose as a result of a cold or allergies. This can cause havoc in our life because it will leave us weak and without an appetite. Sometimes we use medication to treat a stuffy nose but sometimes we want to avoid the side effects of medications such as nasal sprays.
This is where how to get rid of a stuffy nose with home remedies and alternative therapies like Acupressure come in.