How to Get Rid of Pink Eye?
Pink eye is itchy and uncomfortable, not to mention that having a swollen eye makes it difficult to see. It is also highly contagious, so you may want to get rid of the infection as quickly as possible.
Many workplaces won’t let you return to work until the pink eye is completely cleared up, which can get expensive.
Natural Remedies for Pink Eye
These home remedies for pink eye will clear up your infection in no time.
Due to the natural immune boosters and vitamins in breastmilk, it can clear up common health issues quicker than antibiotics or other conventional treatments. If you are a nursing mom, this remedy works well for you and your kids.
- Pump or hand express a small amount of breastmilk into a clean, dry cup.
- With an eyedropper, suck up a teaspoon or so of breastmilk.
- Drop by drop, squeeze a few drops of milk into the eye. Repeat in the other eye even if it is not showing symptoms, as pink eye often spreads.
- Hold the eyes shut for a few seconds to allow the breastmilk to stay in the eye and start working.
While regular cow’s milk does not have the same healing properties as breastmilk, it is still one of our excellent home remedies for pink eye to soothe the itching and reduce inflammation.
- Soak two cotton balls in cold milk until they are completely saturated.
- Lay down, close your eyes and place a soaked cotton ball over each eye.
- Keep the cotton balls on until the milk starts to get warm.
- Rinse the milk off, your eyes should feel refreshed and less itchy.
3.Lemon Juice, Butter, and Sugar
This mixture is one that you need to be careful while preparing and using. It uses lemon juice, which can irritate and sting your eyes if it touches your eyeball, so be cautious in your application.
- Put a few drops of lemon juice in a bowl. Add two tablespoons of cold butter.
- Mash these two ingredients until they are smooth. Add a large pinch of sugar.
- Mix until the ingredients form a smooth paste.
- Close the affected eye and apply the paste only to your upper eyelid. Do not let the paste come into contact with your eyeball.
- After ten minutes, wipe the mixture off of your eye with a cool washcloth.
Repeat five times per day to clear up pink eye within a day or so.
If you have a bag of shredded hashbrowns in your freezer, you can use them in one of our most soothing home remedies for pink eye.
- Take a handful of shredded hashbrown potatoes and break up any clumps. Make sure that they do not have any skin.
- Lay down and close your eyes.
- Put half of the frozen hashbrowns on each eye.
- Keep them on your eyes for ten minutes.
- Repeat as needed for relief from itching and swelling.
Garlic is naturally antibiotic, so it is often used to naturally treat infections. You can take advantage of its antibiotic properties with one of our favorite home remedies for pink eye.
- Take one garlic clove off of a head of garlic. Make sure that the paper’s skin is removed.
- Prick the clove a few times to let the garlic juice seep out.
- Rub the garlic clove underneath your eye or on your upper eyelid.
- It may sting for a couple of seconds. After the stinging, you should experience a decrease in itching.
You can also prepare a paste of two mashed garlic cloves and rub it on your eyelid. Leave the paste on for one minute and wipe off with a cold washcloth.