4 Healthy Food Recipes Your Family Will Love Low Cost and Good for Your Body
One of the greatest investments you can make in your life is your health. As such, many people realize that healthy food recipes are the key to promoting good health.
You probably don’t have a lot of time to cook, but want the nutrition and control of knowing exactly what goes into your favorite healthy food meals.
These four healthy food recipes are quick and easy to prepare and will become popular family favorites requested again and again.
1. Avocado & Black Bean Salad
This healthy food recipe makes a great high protein vegetarian meal. It’s rich with nutrients and can be served with your favorite artisan bread, flatbread or crackers.
- Around 16 ounces red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Approximate 16 ounces garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 10 grape tomatoes, cut in halves
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, stone removed and diced 1 large carrot, grated
- 1/2 medium red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup zesty Italian dressing (salad dressing from the bottle)
In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Serve immediately at room temperature, or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. This salad can be made the night before if you want to eat it thoroughly cold and like something ready to eat when you come home.
This healthy food recipe makes 4 servings.
2. Quick And Hearty Minestrone Soup
This healthy food recipe is a real hit in the cooler months but can be enjoyed at any time of year. It takes less than 15 minutes to prepare and cook and the leftover soup is great heated the second time around too! Using canned foods makes this meal convenient but it’s big on taste, fast on time, and high in protein and low in fat.
- 1 small can of corn (4 ounces), rinsed and drained
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1-quart vegetable broth
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup tomato juice or vegetable juice (such as V8)
- 1 cup dry small shaped pasta such as shells or elbows
grated Parmesan cheese (optional garnish)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1-12 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
Bring vegetable broth to boil in a stockpot. Stir in all ingredients (except parmesan cheese) and lower heat to medium-high, stirring occasionally
Cook for 10 minutes and serve in soup bowls garnished with parmesan cheese. This healthy food recipe is that easy!
This healthy food recipe makes 6 Hearty Size servings
3. Twisted Tuna Salad
This healthy food recipe transforms tuna into a delicious and crispy health salad. It takes less than 10 minutes to prepare and is a great light low-fat meal your family will find satisfying. You can eat this straight up as a salad, or serve it inside pita bread to make a fun healthy change of pace sandwich.
- 2 cans (6 ounces) tuna in spring water, drained
- 1 tablespoon red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped red or yellow bell pepper
- 1 jar (6 ounces) marinated artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat or fat-free mayonnaise
- 1 head romaine lettuce, washed and patted dry, then chopped
- 1/3 cup unsalted peanuts or cashews, crushed
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- black ground pepper to taste
- optional wheat pita bread if you want a sandwich
In a medium bowl, mix tuna, mayonnaise, onion, and pepper. Stir in artichoke hearts and grated carrot. Serve tuna salad on a bed of chopped romaine lettuce and garnish with crushed cashews or peanuts. If you prefer a sandwich, stuff ingredients into pita bread.
This healthy food recipe makes 6 servings.
4. Farmer’s Apple Squash Health Salad
This healthy food recipe is energizing and super easy to make! It takes less than 10 minutes to prepare and the fusion of ingredients is amazing!
- 1 red delicious apples, peeled, cored, chopped
- 1 yellow squash, washed and chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium-sized cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons craisins (sweetened dried cranberries)
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- optional garnish of crushed pecans
Whisk olive oil and red wine vinegar with black pepper.
In salad serving bowl, toss apples, squash, cucumber, red onion, and craisins. Drizzle salad dressing and optionally garnish with crushed pecans. You can serve with your favorite low-fat crackers if you like.