Rice Milk: Health Benefits
If you are searching for a substitute for cow’s milk, try rice milk. Rice milk is made from fermented grain or rice flour. This beverage has many dietary benefits.
1. Rice milk has a unique flavor.
One benefit of rice milk is that it doesn’t taste or feel like cow’s milk. Rice milk is a bit sweeter and the consistency is thinner.
For people overpowered by whole cow’s milk, this change is a welcome one.
2. Rice milk is healthy and nutritious.
Is your immune system weak? Give yourself a boost by drinking rice milk. Rice milk is full of the antioxidants manganese and selenium. Antioxidants are agents that repair damaged tissue and slow the effect of free radicals in the body.
Rice milk is also cholesterol-free. The cons of rice milk are the absence of protein and the number of carbohydrates. So, diabetics should not drink rice milk.
3. Rice milk has fewer calories than cow’s milk.
According to researcher, rice milk is about 120 calories per 8-ounce glass. Cow’s milk, on the other hand, is about 150 calories per 8-ounce glass. The fat on each varies. For rice milk, the percentage of fat depends on the amount of sweetener added to this substance. For cow’s milk, the percentage of fat depends on whether it’s whole, reduced-fat or skim.
4. Rice milk does not require constant refrigeration.
Cow’s milk requires constant refrigeration to not spoil. Only after the container is opened does rice milk require refrigeration. So, storage for this product is easier than cow’s milk.
5. Rice milk is another alternative to soy or almond milk.
For men and women who not only want an alternative to cow’s milk but don’t care for soy milk or almond milk, they can turn to rice milk. Rice milk has its unique benefits apart from these other beverages.
6. Rice milk is an option for people allergic to cow’s milk.
Even if a person is not lactose-intolerant, he or she can be allergic to other properties in cow’s milk. In this instance, rice milk is a viable option. For babies, rice milk should only be consumed as a milk alternative when ordered by a physician.
7. Consumers can make their rice milk at home.
Rice milk can be made at home relatively inexpensive. The ingredients necessary to pull off this feat are minimal.
- 1 cup cooked rice, preferably brown
- 4 cups of water
- Dash salt
- 1 Tablespoon sweetener (or to taste; optional)
- Additional flavoring (optional; vanilla for vanilla-flavored milk; to taste)
- Place all ingredients in the blender.
- Blend for four minutes in a regular blender, or two minutes in a high-speed blender.
8. Rice milk can be part of a raw food diet.
Followers of a raw food diet take issue with the hormones in cow’s milk. They see rice milk as a better choice. To them, rice milk is less harmful.
Enlightened? Above are 8 benefits of rice milk that reveal the pros to this product. Be adventurous and purchase a quart of this beverage today. Open up your world to a new delicious, smooth treat.